Sunday, September 18, 2011

Homemade Poptarts

Okay, so I'll admit that I wasn't the first one to come up with this idea.  I've seen variations of homemade Poptarts all over the web, but I decided to finally make some of my own!  I love original Poptarts, but they aren't super cheap and full of preservatives.  Homemade ones at least will have less preservatives and you can get more for your money.  So, here's how I did it....Super simple, quick, and tasty, too!

Refrigerated pie crust

Unroll dough and cut into rectangles (you can choose how big or small you want them!) 
Spread on your favorite filling.  I chose strawberry preserves.  I could also see putting a cinnamon/brown sugar mix,  blueberry puree, marshmallow/chocolate chip mix....I mean, seriously, the options are limitless!

Roll out the second pie crust, cut into rectangles, and put on top of jelly.  Crimp edges together with a fork.  As you can see, I had a little leftover dough and created a cute little leaf to place on top of the poptarts.  Pretty fancy if you ask me!   Cook in the oven for about 12 minutes @ 400F or until golden brown.
While the tarts are cooking, make the glaze.  Powdered sugar & milk.  Make thick or thin to your liking.

The finished poptarts, drizzled with glaze and red sugar sprinkles.

Taste Testers:  My mom and stepdad
My hubby...I think he likes them!

Oooey, gooey, inside.  They were a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment